Plumbing adventures

About a month ago, the faucet in one of the bathrooms started leaking. I ignored it, until I couldn’t … and then I turned off the water supply to the faucet, thinking I’d get to it later.

All I was able to figure out was that I needed replacement cartridges. I bought these on Amazon, and then they sat around, since I had no clue how to proceed.

Luckily, Youtube is full of helpful videos on all sorts of little topics, and I found lots of “cartridge replacement” videos. But this wasn’t too useful, since there are (as I now know but hadnoidea earlier) manytypes of cartridges, with not a lot in common.

Luckily again, I was able to find a video about my specific cartridge type… phew!

Now I just had to follow the steps and … one of the steps involved two wrenches. I dug up my extra wrench, but it was no good, I needed something much larger. Okay, now I had to go buy a large wrench.

Wrench in hand, I was able to get the previous cartridge out, put the new one in and … the faucet wasn’t leaking anymore! Except now the cartridge assembly was leaking. I took everything out, put everything back in and … still leaking.

Eventually, it turned out to be a washer that either never existed, or must have fallen out when I first took the cartridge out of the packet. Either way, I reused the washer from the old cartridge, and … everything just worked.

I ended up spending an hour and half on all this today, but … totally worth it! 😀 (and not just because I have a working faucet now).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s